1/10/2005

Priorities

I am perfectly aware that what I should be doing on any given slow day is searching the bridal websites full force to find that perfect dress for myself and bridesmaids, looking at cakes and forming lengthy invitee lists. Right? That's what I should be doing. If not, I should be calmly reading a novel, knitting the neverending scarf, but I just can't get enough of the Food Network. I've become slightly obsessed with Rachael Ray, who, in the beginning, I did not care for. She grew on me, with her 30 minute meals and thrifty spending style in all corners of the globe and now I, honestly, nearly emit a startled breath when I turn on the television (Food Network, what else?) and there...she...is. She's peppy, damnit, and I love her. In fact, I just also discovered, thanks to that educational Food Network bio, that Rachael owns a pit bull. This discovery, of course, furthered my non-sexual crush on the woman. She, like many kind-hearted souls, has realized the injustice forced upon that great species of dog and invited one into her home. Oh, Rachael! When are you coming over for dinner? You're cooking. I'll relax with a nice glass of wine and admire your witty and upbeat commentary regarding the ease with which the salad dressing comes together, and the pride one finds in making a delicious and quick dinner, after a hard day of work.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the dogs! When this dinner happens, Lola and I will fly back (cause she loves that now) to join you in a wine-drinking, good-food-eating, pit-bull-loving celebration.
-Sarah

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cara - It's Cat up here in freezing NYC. I read your blog all the time (btw, I love it!) and never felt the need to post...until you hit upon one of my favorite subjects...Rachel Ray. My roommate and I LOVE to hate her...she's just so happy all the time, uses terms like EVOO (ugh!) and her pants...they never look good on her. Despite all of these annoying traits, my roommate and I are completely obsessed with her. We can't stop watching. She totally got us through each boring day when I was stuck at home after my surgery and my roommate was unemployed. My life is complete now that we have food network on demand and I can see her anytime I want.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Cara Maria McDonough said...

I'm posting a comment on my own blog to note the following:
1) I, too, used to love to hate Rachel Ray, but now, the love is pure, and my obsession true. I got over my initial dislike, much like my initial dislike for the hosts of "The People's Pharmacy," here in Chapel Hill, and now admire these fine people in my life, givers of quick cooking tips and herbal remedies.
2) Giada, although hot, sure, pisses me off, Tom. She pronounces Italian food words in a completely affected manner. Not even cute, the way Justin proclaims northerners ALL say "manicotti" like "manigotte."

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home