4/18/2006

Like...a nurse who bathes old people

"What's it going to be like when we get older?"

"It'll be great. We'll have a wet nurse."

"Um, what?"

"A wet nurse. Like a nurse that comes to your house when you're old."

"What? That's not a wet nurse."

"Yes, it is."

"No - a wet nurse is a nurse who breastfeeds a baby that's not hers. Like, if the mother can't do it."

"What are you talking about? A wet nurse is a nurse who comes to a house, and takes care of older people. Sometimes if a bunch of older people live together in a house, they get a wet nurse to take care of them. What you're thinking of is probably the historical definition of the term."

"Why is it called a wet nurse, then?"

"Because it's..."

"Because it refers to breastfeeding."

"No, it's like Daphne. On "Frasier"? She's like a wet nurse for Frasier's dad. She tends to his wounds..."

"He doesn't have open wounds..."

"And bathes him..."

"I think we need to look this up."

"Ok. We'll look it up. But I'm right."

(He was wrong.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

You gotta love it when a married couple airs their quarrels on the internet.

12:08 PM  
Blogger MotherOf3Guys said...

I remember thinking when I was a young, new nurse bathing old people in the hospital: "man, I hope I never get this old and have to have someone bathe me." I couldn't imagine being "that old". Now, with the nursing shortage getting worse, I will be happy if there are nurses around to help when I get old! Take it from me, the bathing part of nursing is NOT the fun part!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home