1/30/2006

Whilst in the monastery

This weekend my father and brother attended a retreat at a monastery in rural Virginia. I must, again, assert that I am not kidding. When I asked them how it was, both said it was great, and that they didn't really do much of anything except "contemplate life." Okay.

Vinnie did say he had some spectacular discussions with an 82-year-old priest who would tell him a story ("I was brought up in Africa, and learned a lot about the culture...") and then roughly three minutes later, would tell him the exact same story ("I was brought up in Africa..."). I got a big kick out of that.

However, my favorite thing about this retreat is the string of emails exchanged between my mother, who was at home, being normal, and my father, forwarded on to me. You'd think there'd be no emailing while with the monks, contemplating, right? Wrong. Dad's got a Blackberry and nobody's gonna take that away from him. Not Jesus, nobody.

From: Kathleen Rotondaro
To: Fred Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

Just had chicken fajitas from Baja Fresh and am sitting here watching the news..

Do you think Vinnie would like to be a monk? Seriously, I'm sure it is very peaceful. Are you going to get up at 4 for Vespers?

From: Fred Rotondaro
To: Kathleen Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

It is 3:30.
He seems to like it.
I am reading in my room and I guess Vin is too.
I am of course frustrated because I can't use my phone and find out how much money we made.
Vin says he will go to vespers or vigil or whatever
I could say I miss you and wish you were here but then one of us would be sleeping on the floor.
Brother Alfred of the Weeds

From: Kathleen Rotondaro
To: Fred Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

Brother Alfred--I want to take some wine up with me tomorrow. Do you have any worldly guidance for me?

Love, your wife on the outside

From: Fred Rotondaro
To: Kathleen Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

Re: wine. Not really hon. Some good whites in the cooler and reds in the rack under the paintings. Don't take serpico red. That is Vinnie's favorite. I think some cakebread is in the cooler.

B. Alfred

From: Kathleen Rotondaro
To: Fred Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

Thank you, Brother Alfred. Am now up in the bedroom with the dog and with the door locked.

Love, the girl

From: Fred Rotondaro
To: Kathleen Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

Love you dear. Be careful.
I am going to read some more and then go to sleep. I am probably the last one up.
I will call tomorrow when I go out for a walk.
B. Alfred

From: Kathleen Rotondaro
To: Fred Rotondaro
Sent: Fri Jan 27

Ok. Love you too.

From: Fred Rotondaro
To: Kathleen Rotondaro
Sent: Sat Jan 28

Good morning. Up and at em.
I read last night that the a.m. vigils were changed forty years ago from 2 a.m. to 4. Some monks thought this was indulgent.
So do I.
B. Alfred

3 Comments:

Blogger MotherOf3Guys said...

I think I really like your family, Cara...only briefly saying hello to them at the wedding, I didn't really get to meet them...but through your blog they sound Great! I give your parents great marks for 30 years of marriage and still emailing while away from one another.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Carissa said...

cara- your family ALWAYS makes me smile :)

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are so many things i like about those email exchanges: the love and flirtation still present after many years of marriage, the humor of both your parents, and, perhaps most of all, that your father really looks out for vinnie by protecting his favorite wine. then there's the fact that THEY ARE AT A MONESTERY! there is no doubt that the entire rotondaro clan is fantastic.

love,sge

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home